October 5, 2011

God's Broom

God has been speaking to me in the most random of ways lately. Yesterday I was sweeping the floor, not really because I thought it really needed it, but there were a few things I could see. The more I swept though, the more I noticed that we must not have swept in a while because there was a lot more than I originally thought. Through this, and somewhat combined with what we discussed at Bible study Monday, I realized how much dirt and sin we have in our own lives that we don't even realize is there until we start "sweeping" our hearts up and are left with a pile of grossness. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what other people are doing wrong and how it annoys me, and just want to shake them and be like, "Don't you get the picture?" But that's exactly what God is doing to me, He's shaking me and saying the same thing. We may trick ourselves into thinking our floors are pretty clean, or even worse, become comfortable with the filth that has settled into our hearts like a three inch dust layer on the hardwoods. Then we come before God and say, "Oh it's not that bad, it's not that dirty in here." We try to justify our sins without confessing them specifically. God sees through these lies and asks us, "Really? You seriously want to go there?" (I sort of picture The Rock with his one eyebrow up look) The past couple of weeks God has revealed to me my masks and dirt layers, and now I'm trusting Him to dustbuster my heart into a right relationship with Him.

"How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults." Psalm 19:12

"Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me." Psalm 51:10