March 12, 2011

Mayberry

This is just going to be a quick thought because it's getting late, we're going to spring forward somewhere in the middle of the night and church is in the morning. This is just a note to my future self mostly. Riding in the car tonight with the radio on, a Darius Rucker song was playing, and I realized my kids will never know him as Hootie and the only thing called a blowfish lives in the sea. So there are a couple of things I want my kids to learn from my childhood and adolescent years. I want them to listen to the music that I enjoy now. Nicole and I discussed how when we were little our parents listened to what is now considered classic rock, but I love it and think it's great music because I grew up listening to it. What will my kids think of my taste in music? How will it have changed by the time I have kids? I want my children to appreciate other music that is not their own generation's. I also don't want to buy my kids video games (I know you're thinking I'm crazy). We never had video games growing up, not because we didn't want them but because we weren't allowed. We had to play outside and use our imaginations to have fun. Whenever we did want to play video games we could go to the neighbor's and play theirs, but that was it. I want to keep to the basics as much as possible to appreciate the little things that life has to offer, because in looking back, what seemed like little things turn out to be pretty big.