April 6, 2011

Swallowing Camels

I've been meaning to post this and it's kind of long so bear with me, but you should definitely read it. It is the appendix from Frederick Douglass's "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave". I recommend you read the whole book, but the appendix at the end was the most inspiring and eye-opening part to me. I was going to type it out, but realized it's much too long, so here's a link:
"Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave"
He makes the comment, "Dark and terrible as is this picture, I hold it to be strictly true of the overwhelming mass of professed Christians in America. They strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. Could anything be more true of our churches?" This was an inexplicably horrible time in the history of America, but I think we shouldn't believe we're so far removed from the people of this time in certain aspects. I'll speak for myself, but we will obsess over the tiniest imperfections in others and take our own with two grains of salt. (I'm not sure if that's the right analogy, I'm not very good with those) I pray that I can learn from the past to truly live the Word of God and not just interpret it to what I want to hear or what I think will fit my life. And heaven forbid I use it to justify my own sin. This is getting lengthy in spite of my efforts so please give it a read, you won't be disappointed!